GUIDE ME DONT GIVE ME DIRECTIONS

 

 SHEPHERD TAKING HIS SHEEP TO THE FARM

John Sammis wrote about an experience he had, “even with a satnav (a satellite navigating system) in your car you can still make a wrong turn. At one point on a recent journey I was quite sure the lady in the guidance system was wrong. She said to go left, I went right because I knew she was wrong. The lady with the irritating voice said “recalculating route, when safe to execute a u-turn, turn round if possible.

I knew she was still wrong so I unplugged her. That is the beauty of the lady in the box-you can unplug her. But then, would you believe it, I got completely lost and ended up driving round and round in circles. So I plugged the lady back in again and you know what she said? “re-calculating route, turn around if possible”

David was an old man when he wrote the twenty third psalm. He had come to know God’s character and ways very well. In the psalm he uses the sheep-shepherd relationship to describe his relations with God. He wrote of a shepherd who leads him to places of nourishment and rest (v. 2). The shepherd also guides him in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake (v.3). A path is formed as many feet walk along a specific route.

The word translated path refers to a “well-defined and well-worn path”. The highway to heaven is well-worn; over the centuries so many have followed it to heaven. The Prophet Isaiah said “a highway shall be there…called the highway of holiness, the unclean shall not pass over it…whoever walks the road although a fool shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast go up on it... But the redeemed shall walk there (Isa. 35:8-9).

The highway of holiness is clearly marked so that no one can miss it. Protection is also assured once you enter and remain on it. Jesus said that in life there are two ways; the broad road that leads to destruction and many enter through it. The other is the narrow path that leads to life and only a few find it (Matt 7:13:14). The sheep have a choice, most choose the way to death because it’s easy and there is plenty of company there.

Sheep will still stray; they are prone to wander. In Jeremiah 18:15 God is complaining “my people have forgotten me…they have caused themselves to stumble from their ways; from the ancient paths to walk in bypaths and not a highway”. The Lord says “ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it and you will find rest for your souls. But they said “we will not walk in it (Jer. 6:16).

In Psalm 23 the shepherd is pictured leading and the sheep obediently and trustingly following him. David says “he leads me”, to emphasize God’s guidance for him as an individual. There is a personal path for him on the highway which is unique and he can’t stray unnoticed. In John 10, Jesus says he calls his sheep by name and leads them out. Each sheep has a name and that name is recorded in the book of life (Luke 10:20)

The word path is in plural to show there are different areas through which the shepherd guides. Sometimes he takes through smooth paths and we find it very easy to follow. But sometimes we wish to disagree with the path the shepherd takes and seek for easier by-pass. When we are at the mountain tableland with the sun shining brightly, we like Peter seek the shepherd’s permission to make a permanent dwelling there (Matt 17:1-4) but he can’t.

 Before we know it the shepherd takes a route towards the valley below. The path passes through a treacherous mountain slope and the feeling is “Shepherd isn’t there a better way?”  He moves on without a word. Then we get to a dark valley, full of frightening shadows.  We get alarmed and cry out “shepherd we can’t see you anymore, we am finished!” Then we hear him say “I am with you even when you cannot see me”.

God says “ I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, in paths they do not know I will guide them. I will make darkness into light before them and the rugged places into plains. These are the things I will do and I will not leave them undone (Isa. 42:16). In Psalm143 David prays “Cause me to know the way in which I should walk… Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God…Lead me in the land of uprightness (Ps 143:8,10).

In Psalm 32:8 God promises “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding: The two animals are not easily guided. They need the bit and bridle. Do not be like them; do no make God to have continual recourse to afflictions and severe dispensations of providence, to keep you in the way, or to restore you after you have gone out of it.

Righteousness is what is right with God and what lines up with his will for our lives. We may not like it and it may not be easy but it is the best for us. Proverbs 14:12 says “there is a way that seems right to man but its end is the way of death” (Prov.14:12). The way of man appears right to him but evil is very deceptive. What seems right to man can leads to death. So we cannot trust our judgment. The principal is so important that God repeats it again at proverbs 16:25

A good shepherd does not allow overgrazing which might eventually lead to starvation. We have to grow in our walk with God; we must not get stuck to routines and comfort zones. God guides us in paths of righteousness for the sake of his name. People judge the shepherd by the condition of his sheep. His reputation is at stake, his character is on display.

Psalm 119 shows the psalmist determination to faithfully follow the shepherd along the highway of righteousness.  He declares “I have sworn and confirmed that I will keep your righteous judgment” (119:106). It was a double decision “sworn and confirmed”. Teach me your judgments (119:109); he wants to be taught until his judgment agrees with the judgments of the God.

Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever for they are the rejoicing of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform your statutes forever to the very end; you are my hiding place and my shield, I hope in your word” (119: 111-112,114). The word of God is a treasure to the psalmist and its more real than any earthly heritage. He will never stop reading, meditating and obeying God’s word; it is hiding place and shield from all dangers.

The entrance of your word gives light (119:130). The Scriptures reveal the mind of God; what he loves and what he hates. His word is alive and active, it penetrates even to dividing the soul and spirit; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Heb 4:12-13). The word helps us to see ourselves the way God see us. God uses his word to teach, rebuke, correct and train us in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16).

I opened my mouth and panted, for I longed for your commandments (119:131). The psalmist desired Gods word like a thirsty animal panting for water or an exhausted animal panting for breath. Nothing can show his earnestness in a stronger point of view. “Look upon me and be merciful to me. As you custom is towards those who love your name”. God has a pattern of action towards those who love his name. He gives them his attention and is merciful to them.

Direct my steps by your word. And let no iniquity have dominion over me…that I may keep your precepts ; make your face shine upon your servant” (119:132-135).   Sin is strong but God is stronger; Satan is wise but God is all-wise. God’s face shines upon you when you are at peace with him. “Righteous are you O Lord… and very faithful” (119:137-138). God’s word and action were consistent proving him to be very faithful.

“Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness and your law is truth. Trouble and anguish have overtaken me, yet your commandments are my delight. ..Give me understanding and I shall live” (119:142-144).  The psalmist delight in God’s word was not only valid in good times but also in anguish. When trouble sets in we are likely to doubt God’s righteousness. To confess that God is good when all things appear to suggest the contrary is the richest adoration.

My eyes are awake through the night watches that I may meditate on your word (119:148). The psalmist stays awake internalizing the Bible teaching. He knows the eternal character of the word of God (Matt 24:35). When all other words shall decay, Gods word will still be standing, it will last forever and so shall they that observe it. Those who practice the Scriptures are following the shepherd along paths of righteousness and are on the highway to Heaven.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RESCUE THE PERISHING

What is God upto?

Gospel moves to the end of Earth