THE OIL OF JOY

 

                                  

A park ranger at Yellowstone national park was leading a group of hikers to a fire look-out. The ranger was so intent on telling the hikers about the flowers and animals.  He considered the message on his two-way radio distracting, so he switched it off. As the group neared the tower, the ranger was met by nearly breathless look-out. He asked why the ranger had not responded to the messages on his radio. A grizzly bear had been seen stalking the group and the authorities were trying to warn them of the danger (Craig Brian).

In Psalm 23:5 David’s metaphor of God shifts from a shepherd to a host. The images shift from the sprawling countryside to a home, from green pastures to a full dining table, from still waters to an overflowing cup. But despite the shift in these vivid images, he maintains the theme - God cares for his people and abundantly provides for them. David says “he anoints my head with oil”.

In the Bible oil is associated with joy. Referring to Jesus the psalmist wrote” your God has anointed you with the oil of joy beyond your companions …the music of the strings makes you glad” (Psalm 45:7, Heb. 1:9). Jesus possessed great stores of secret joy. And for the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame (Heb 12:2). His disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:50-52).

David says “they feast on the abundance of your house and you give them drink from your river of delights (Ps. 36:8). One thing I ask from the Lord, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord…for in day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling… exalted above my enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy, I will sing and make music to the lord (Ps. 27: 4-6)

Oil in the Bible is symbolic of the Holy Spirit. God anointed Jesus with the Holy Ghost (Acts 10:38). Before Jesus began his public ministry he was baptized and the Spirit came upon him. He returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee (Luke 3:22, 4:16-21). The original word translated “anoint” in psalm 23:5 means pours out an excessively lavish amount. Titus 3:6 says God saved us through rebirth and renewal of the Holy Spirit whom he poured on us generously.

When David was still young, Samuel anointed him and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him (1Sam. 16:13).  From that point the story of David’s life is the unfolding of the power of the Holy Spirit.  Everything he did, “he had great success because the Lord was with him” (1 Sam. 18:14). And he became more and more powerful because the God almighty was with him (2 Sam. 5:10)

His Psalms reveal his unparalleled quest for God. We have some vivid illustrations of his constant dependence upon the presence of God and the leadership of the spirit.  His prayer was “teach me to do your will for you are my God, your spirit is good, lead me in the land of uprightness (Ps. 143:10). David fought his battles; he ruled his people and lived his wonderful life in the power of the Holy Spirit.

In Psalm 89 we read “Blessed are those who…walk O Lord in the light of your countenance. In your name they rejoice all day long and in your righteousness they are exalted, for you are the glory of their strength… to your faithful people you said: I have bestowed strength on a warrior; I have raised up a young man from among the people. I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him”(vv.15-20).

David’s anointing filled his life with music and joy. When the Ark was returned to Jerusalem, David danced with all his might leaping and whirling. His wife Michal saw David and she despised him. David told her he had danced “before the Lord who appointed me ruler over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the Lord and I will be even more undignified than this”. Michal did not get children (2 Sam. 6).

In Psalm 63:2-7 David says “I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. I will praise you as long as I live and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods, with singing lips my soul will praise you. I sing in the meadows of your wings”. In Psalm 17:8 David prayed “Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings

In Psalm 21, he says “O Lord the king rejoices in your strength, how great is his joy in the victories you give! You have granted the desires of his heart and has not withheld the request of his lips. You welcomed him with rich blessings…through the victories you gave , his glory is great …surely you have granted him eternal blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence …be exalted o Lord , in your strength we will sing and praise your might.

When he committed sin with Bathsheba, he cried out “do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me (Ps. 51:11). David says “Sing to the lord you saints , praise his holy name, for his anger lasts only a moment  but his favour lasts a lifetime…you turned my wailing into dancing , you removed my sack cloth and clothed me with joy  that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God I will give you thanks forever” (Ps. 30: 4-12).

I waited patiently for the Lord he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit  and the mire he set my feet on a rock... He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God (Ps 40 .The lord has chastened me severely but he has not given me over to death. Open for me the gates of righteousness, I will enter and give thanks to the Lord( Ps 118:18-19)

2 Samuel 22 is David’s psalm of praise; the psalm appears as David’s final words. Hence it is a summary thanksgiving for his long life. With only minor variations this psalm is the same as Psalm 18. It is likely David composed this song as a young man (2 Samuel 8:14). Yet, in his old age, looking at his whole life, he could sing this song again with great gratitude. In verses 2-4 David praises the God of his deliverance .

In 2 Samuel 23:1-2 we read “Now these are the last words of David, the son of Jesse (remembering his humble beginning) the man raised on high. The anointed of the God of Jacob (he can now see the wonders of the anointing oil), the sweet psalmist of Israel (and the beautiful title it has earned him). The spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue”. David gives the Holy Spirit credit for the beautiful psalms that he wrote.

Reflecting about the life he had been lived, David summarized it this way, the king “asked you for life, and you gave it to him; length of days, forever and ever.  Through the victories you gave, his glory is great; you have bestowed on him splendor and majesty. Surely you have granted him unending blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence. For you grant him blessings forever; you cheer him with joy in your presence (Ps. 21:6).

 He attributed his military exploits, his physical power as well as the success of the whole kingdom on the power of God upon who he depended (Psalm 18, 144). Looking beyond death David wrote “In your presence is fullness of joy; At your right hand are pleasures forevermore (Ps. 16:11). On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur...  the upright will see his face (Ps 11:6-7). As for me, I will behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I will be satisfied in your presence (Ps.17:15).

Jesus anoints his followers with the kind of joy that even anointed earthly kings do not possess. Joy not rooted in the flavorful food they eat, the wealth they possess nor the spiritual power they demonstrate. Jesus told his disciples not to rejoice because demons submit to them but because their names were written in the book of life (Luke 10:17-20). They would live in God’s presence where there is fullness of joy forever.

In Isaiah chapter 12,  the prophet told the Israelites “with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation…In that day you will say give thanks to God…make known among the nations what he has done…sing to the Lord for he has done  glorious things,  let this be made known to all the world.” If you obey and serve God, then you will end your days in prosperity and your years in happiness (job 36:11).



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RESCUE THE PERISHING

What is God upto?

God has been so good